If you love Gaia GPS, help spread the word by leaving a review. Your review will also get bumped up, when you rate a new update.
Subtly awesome new features for offline use.
► Offline Features
These new offline features work in places where you have Gaia Topo downloaded.
- offline elevation data - Gaia GPS will now 1) show elevation profiles when making a route, and 2) save elevation for waypoints you mark, even while offline. Previously, Gaia GPS needed to be online to show profiles during route creation, and would only mark elevation for waypoints if created where you were standing or if you were online.
- offline naming - Gaia GPS will now suggest names for new waypoints/tracks/routes/etc, even when offline. This auto-naming only used to work while online, but now it works offline using data in the Gaia Topo map.
► Better Map Layering
This next improvement makes "vector" map layers work better.
- when you show Public Land or other similar map overlays, labels/symbols from lower vector layers will be displayed on top of the stack (FYI, this will make the map look better if you layer Public Land on Gaia Topo, but won't make a difference if you layer Public Land on top of a non-vector layer like USGS Topo)
FYI, vector map layers in Gaia GPS include Gaia Topo, MapBox Outdoors, Public Land, MVUM, US Wildfires, and all of the "Overlay" layers for hunting.
► Improved Photo Display
- when you tap a photo thumbnail in the Saved table, it launches a slideshow at the index of that thumbnail's photo (instead of showing a single photo view)
- photo thumbnails now all show for tracks (previously, if two photos were at the same location, only one would show)
- when viewing Track/Waypoint details, photos now display only in the slideshow (there is no row of thumbnails)
And because that row of thumbnails no longer exists, the delete/add photo controls that used to live there got moved:
- the Add photo button now displays at the top of Details (top right, below edit button, on top of the map or photos)
- you now delete individual photos from the slideshow
► And a few other tweaks:
- when saving a track on iPhone X, save the correct model number for display on gaiagps.com
- during Route creation, improve initial layout (smaller bar, 0 Distance and Ascent labels)
- during Area creation, make the bottom bar smaller to show more map
- KML imports now import descriptions
- fixed issue on 11.2 where iPad waypoint photo slideshow wasn't full height
- fixed iOS10 issue where routing mode button on Route creation screen was hidden
- don't geocode name photos attached to waypoints, so they don't show weirdly different from the waypoint
- the popup you see after an update now shows the bottom row without scrolling, which shows tips on how to use the app
- app now triggers a sync when you make a new Folder
- if you have a 5-year Membership, don't call it a Free Subscription in Settings, and don't show the Purchase Subscription option
- fix padding on visibility button in Track details, in the case where the Track is in a Shared Folder and you don't have Write permission to the Folder
- fix issue where if you open the Download view for NatGeo maps, then tap Search, then Cancel, then Cancel again, the bottom tab bar would be hidden
- fix issue where if you search, then download a map, a blue dot could get stuck on the map
- when you do log out, the app no longer shows a blocking login screen, and it also resets state for logging out better
- fixed rare crashes reported by crash logger
- removed images we don't use anymore, to make the app slightly smaller in megabytes
- Version 1.6
- Created by TrailBehind
- Sold by Trailbehind, INC.
- Released on May 22, 2017
- File Size: 138 MB
- Price: Free!
- This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad
- Age Rating: 4+
- Categories: Navigation & Travel
Latest posts by Trevor Joy (see all)
- Find trails, plot routes, and download info for offline use. | Gaia GPS - November 15, 2017
- How to Cross-Country Ski | REI Trailheads - October 17, 2017
- You should really try backpacking! | REI Trailheads - October 16, 2017